This section is a non-profit, public organization established to promote mountaineering as a recreational activity in South Africa and the rest of the world. Activities take place on an amateur basis and are practiced in a way that benefits the general public and makes it accessible to the public.
The Division’s objectives include the following, but are not limited to the following:
- To organize and facilitate mountain hikes.
- To gain access to, extend and protect mountains and mountain regions.
- To support the protection and preservation of the natural heritage of mountain and wilderness areas and to promote effective conservation management of these areas.
- To promote the safety and training of mountaineers.
- To provide search and rescue services.
- To promote the study of mountain areas, as well as the preservation of historical and archaeological finds in mountain areas, and to write down and make available information about mountains.